What can an international student do at the ICVT?
The ICVT is one of the institues that integrate the of Energy Technology, Process Engineering and Biological Engineering. ICVT stays for 'Institut für Chemische Verfahrenstechnik', and its activity is straightly focused in chemical and process engineering.
Hence, the possibilities of international students regarding the above mentioned or related studies are basically the same as of any other student.
Attending lectures for the specialisation in chemical process engineering
Lectures can be attended and validated according the agreements between home university and the University of Stuttgart and the parameters to which each exchange program is subject. A list of all the subjects offered not only at the ICVT but also in the totality of institutes constituting the faculty of Energy Technology, Process Engineering and Biological Engineering .
Each institute offers the possibility of working as an assistant related generally with the projects that are being carried out at the institute. This is regulated by a contract (generally 20 to 40 hours per month) and is economically remunerated. If you are interested in working as a HiWi at the ICVT you just need to visit us and ask for the possibility of getting such a task. We will be glad to show you the institute, our activities and eventually, taking you for such a job.
At most universities, internships are compulsory parts of the studies plan. In cooperation with (German Academic Exchange Service) and through the exchange programs (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience) and (Research Internships in Science and Engineering), the ICVT offers exchange students the possibility of fulfilling such experience by co-working in the research projects carried out at the institute.
Bachelor or Master Thesis
These projects are in close relation with the research projects carried at the institue and therefore, closely supervised by its developers. You have access to the current offers of Bachelor and Master thesis at the ICVT. However, it is always worth to visit us and check personally if some new possibilities are eventually offered. Some fields of work in which student thesises are possible in principle or have already been carried out can be found in the following overview:
- Process simulation (e.g. with Matlab, Promot/Diana)
- Heat exchanger reactors for heterogeneous catalysis (C. Walter)
- Macroscopic simulations of (reactive) flows (e.g. with OpenFOAM, Ansys Fluent)
- Mass transport in reactors for polyreactions (S. Welzel)
- Transport processes in porous media (e.g. with Comsol Multiphysics, Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics, Matlab)
- Morphology formation processes (e.g. with the phase field method, Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics)
- Membrane precipitation
- Ageing of catalysts (J. Matthies)
- Mesoscopic simulations of complex fluids (with Smoothed Dissipative Particle Dynamics)
- Migration behaviour of polymers in boundary layers ((D. Kleschew)
- Kinetic modelling (e.g. with Matlab, Predici)
- Polymer reactions (S. Welzel)
- Structure formation, heat and mass transport
- Investigation of fouling behavior in reactors for solution polymerization ((S. Welzel)
- Kinetic studies
- Experiments on the kinetic characterization of polymerization systems ((S. Welzel)
- Reactor development and construction
- Development and testing of analytical methods
Spatially resolved measurement of concentrations or temperatures, e.g. with mass spectrometers with capillary inlet or fiber optic methods (S. Welzel)